The 4th Summer School on Social Human-Robot Interaction September 18-23, 2023, Chęciny, Poland is open for registration
Registration deadline is 5 May 2023.
– Published 25 April 2023
On behalf of the Human Interactivity and Language Lab, University of Warsaw and IEEE Robotics and Automation Society we have the pleasure to announce the 4th Summer School on Social Human-Robot Interaction September 18-23, 2023, Chęciny, Poland.
We will approach the problem of HRI from an ecological and interactive perspective. This means we will be very sensitive to what information is present and effective for the human interactants with artificial systems and vice versa, but also by treating artificial systems chiefly as modulators of our human-human relations.
This is why it is important that we have a true disciplinary variety among the Participants: we encourage PhD students, MA students and young researchers from linguistics, psychology, philosophy, AI, robotics, anthropology, ethnography, communication sciences, semiotics, cognitive science, etc. We plan robot-programming workshops with the best robot designers in the EU, as well as workshops on qualitative and quantitative interaction analyses with experts in conversational analysis and dynamical time-series analysis - both kinds of workshops will be adapted to the relative skills of the Participants.
We feel that in order to understand the demands of this fast-growing field, we need to rely on expertise from multiple sciences. This will be the spirit of the Summer School: to tackle the problems together and develop a common language. Please forward the ad to whomever you think might be interested and might wish to offer their helpful perspectives.
The application deadline is close: May 5th!
Speakers and Tutors
- Tony Belpaeme (Ghent University)
- Ingar Brinck (Lund University)
- Marine Chamoux (Aldebaran part of United Robotics Group)
- Kerstin Fischer (University of Southern Denmark)
- Tom Froese (Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology)
- Judith Holler (Radboud University and Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics)
- Roger Moore (Sheffield University)
- Hannah Pelikan (University of Linköping)
- Ekaterina Sangati (Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology)
- Iris Nomikou (Portsmouth University)
- Emile Kroeger (United Robotics Group)
- Alessandra Sciutti (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia)
- David Schlangen (University of Potsdam)
- Gabriel Skantze (KTH Royal Institute of Technology and Furhat Robotics)
- Michael Spranger (SONY Japan)
- Serge Thill (Radboud University)
We invite you to 5 days of intense learning: Keynote lectures in the morning, followed by hands-on workshops, discussion panels and social activities in the evenings. The School aims at reframing some of the key questions in HRI, which are pertinent both to social and to general robotics.
On Behalf of Scientific Board and Organizers,
Prof. Joanna Rączaszek-Leonardi, University of Warsaw
Dr. Serge Thill, Radboud University
Prof. Angelo Cangelosi, University of Manchester